Monday, May 11, 2009

Twin Invasion and Mother's Day

Let me begin this post by saying that I have not taken any pics in the past week...we've been very "present" in life.

Secondly, I could not do a better job than our buddies Lauren, Kendal, Carlisle and Jackson Camper of detailing the events of last weekend on our visit to their house. We had a blast and Lauren captured fabulous pics! Go to her blog, The Holy Lands, at the right of this page. Thanks for being such amazing hosts and we love you more than you know!

Thirdly, yesterday was a great Mother's Day. Unfortunately our plans of going to the OKC zoo were rained out, so we hung out at home after a morning of church. Matt cooked a fab frittata with fresh swiss chard from the garden and the babies...er....twins slept for 2-3 hours. Our big outing was to the grocery and to eat Firehouse BBQ for dinner (Misty's parents new restaurant in Slaughterville....YUMMY!!). Yes, our children ate smoked chicken. We made a big parenting decision to be the "occasiona-tarians" which means that our default menu will be vegetarian but we will eat meat occasionally. Plus, G&A's stomachs need to be able to digest meat so they don't puke when Grandpa gives them ribs (wink, wink!).

We are home today with upset tummies again. Good news is all allergy and seliac's (sp?) testing came back negative. Who knows....could be the ton of mucus they have ingested in the past few days, teething (we know G's entire fist will fit in his mouth), or a stomach bug.

So here's one to the readers who are parents with outside-of-the-home employment...what do you do when your kids are too sick for daycare? Do you take off work and stay home until they are well? Do you hire a private babysitter and go back to work? That has been a big question over the past few months...would love to hear some insight!

2 comments:

Sasha said...

I think it's Celiac. And it's fab the test was negative. You definitely don't want that!

As for what we do about sick kiddos, we do some tag-teaming. Sometimes we split the day- one of us goes to work in the morning and the other works in the afternoon. Or we may take turns staying home all day. Basically, we look at our days and see who has less non-reschedulable stuff. (is that a word?)

I have heard that there are babysitters you can hire for sick days, but I don't know of anyone around here who does that.

I've also been known to go up to the office in the evening or weekends to make up some time if there's a deadline looming....

But if you have understanding employers, well, that's the best.

Christy said...

Josh and I try to juggle work-loads when the kiddos are sick, but sometimes one of us just has to take off. I have never felt right asking friends or family to watch my sick kids (don't want to risk getting anyone else sick) and I always feel SOO bad for my children when they are ill that I tend to have to baby them like crazy. Probably not a helpful answer, but I just take off work. I wish I could figure out a better way, but so far I haven't! Hopefully you won't have too many sick days...