Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Summer's Nearly over....

What a crazy whirlwind since our last post. I celebrated my birthday with our Supper Club friends last Saturday and we had the "SuperTwins" (G, A, Ean & Quinn) early birthday party on Sunday--our friends Chris and Stephanie and their twin boys are moving to Florida, so we won't be able to celebrate all four babies' first birthdays together. We swam at their pool and the adults ate yummy chocolate raspberry cake! Check out Steph's blog to see the pics: http://eqsmom.livejournal.com (or click on the link to the right)

Sunday was a huge milestone day for the twins...
Abigail took her first steps!!!! We were sitting on the floor at the Nichols' and A stood up on her own, took one step, became off-balanced, grabbed my shoulder to steady herself and took two more steps!!!! We were in disbelief!! She was so tickled at herself! She took a couple more steps later, but then kept trying to RUN--imagine that! Steph caught her later steps on her camera (see her blog).

George has mastered pulling up to his knees and contnues to crawl all over the place. Yesterday, George conquered the mighty "box" and with help, he stands behind it and takes off pushing the box on his own! He is still learning how to shift his weight from leg to leg but he is so proud of himself...ear to ear smiles and laughter!

It is so fun to have two crawlers; Abigail will come around the corner and hot in her pursuit a few seconds later is Georgie! A laughs all the time at seeing her brother crawl...she is so excited to have him chase her. A few mornings ago, I was making breakfast and heard the babies laughing hysterically. I peeked around the corner into the dining room right as A pulled up to standing on the sliding glass door. She whacked her head really hard on the glass and I was waiting for the wails to follow. Instead, G started cracking up and Abs did the same; she then fell to her bottom and fell on top of him, both roaring with giggles! That is one of the best twin gifts is watching them interact positively with each other! I love it!

Other recent remarkable aspects of crazy Jank life:

~Yesterday, when our friend Susan came over to bring her daughter and our AWESOME nanny Amy lunch, A waved and said "bye-bye!" to Susan as she left! She has been trying to talk and repeat what we are saying.

~Sunday, G had his first major wipe-out...the first of many to come between the two babies I'm sure. He was standing up holding onto a chair at the pool at the "SuperTwins" party and fell, hitting his head on the concrete. He had a small goose-egg and concrete rash on his face and shoulder that healed by the next day. Needless to say, my heart jumped into my throat...I guess it's payback for the countless accidents I had as a child and stress that I put my parents through...

~Believe it or not, G has ANOTHER ear infection. Yes, he got tubes, but apparently it won't stop him from getting ear infections if he is anatomically compromised (due to the position and size of his eustatian (sp?) tube). The tubes will hopefully change the course of treatment to antibiotic ear drops instead of oral antibiotics and the effects of the infection won't be as severe. We'll see...

~We are going on Day 11 of the poop-monster! The twins have had a stomach virus that has been going around and it has not been fun. They have been on a bland diet and we started soymilk yesterday--who knew that soymilk has binding properties?? Needless to say, we abandoned cloth diapers over a week ago and I am very eager to begin again since we have been through 100+ disposables since this began. Abigail has started to put weight back on and George has started eating again too, so I hope we are on the mend!

~After eleven and a half months of breastfeeding, the twins have begun to wean themselves. My goal was to make it one year and we have succeeded--I say "we" because without Matt's 200% support, it would not have happened! The babies have cut out the nighttime nursing (before bed) themselves and they are fine eating solid food all day. I will still breastfeed in the morning for a few more weeks and gradually stop pumping...by this time next month, we hope the babies will be on cow or soy milk completely! I feel very mixed about it, but it gives me confidence that G&A are showing me that THEY are ready!

We have two big things on the horizon. G&A start their children's day out program tomorrow (3 days per week, 5 hours per day). My heart sits in my throat as I realize my babies are growing so quickly. Tears filled my eyes when I purchased their nap mats a few days ago....they're too little for nap mats!!!! Their first birthday is coming soon. We are looking forward to having family here for Labor Day weekend to celebrate and can't wait to see them have their first taste of "sweets"!!!

No comments: