Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23, 2001

At this exact moment, seven years ago, I was finishing up a 5K walk surrounded by our closest friends and family. Billy and Missy hosted the "Martin-Jankowski Wedding Day Fun Run" on our wedding morning at Clyde Fant Parkway in Shreveport. What a fabulous way to begin one of the most important days of my life! Yes, I saw my hubby-to-be across the crowd, but we did not speak.
The coolest thing was that morning, Matt completed a goal that he set for himself while we were engaged. He wanted to get into shape and to do so, he walked/ran the mileage that it would take him to get to me (from Lafayette to Austin)---360-some-odd miles. That began his passion for running! Taking care of himself was the best wedding present ever.
Hard to believe it has been seven years. Matt awoke me this morning with a kiss as he was heading out the door and said "Lucky Number 7!" I treasure the past seven years and I feel so blessed that God made our paths cross in 1996. So glad that a mutual friend came up to me while I was on a date at Ivan's with another guy to see if I would be interested in going out with Matt. Who would have ever thought that I would be the happiest I have ever been with the chili-bowl haired, sideburns-wearin', socially awkward Centenary freshman? I wouldn't ever change a thing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was not there, but I am still wearing the shirt ;o)
Lucky number 7 - good luck to the four of you! Thinking of you often!!!
Kerstin

Sasha said...

How sweet! What a great story.

See you tonight (or will you be off celebrating the annivegasry?)